Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My Soul is Hungry

A friend of mine believes in embracing the shitstorm that, more often than not, rains down on us in times of frustration and grief and absolute mind-numbing stress.

"I'm Lost Again," he says, "And I Feel Fine."

I don't feel fine. My version of this typically goes "I'm Lost Again, And I'm Fucking Scared Shitless, But I Guess That's Okay. Sort Of."

I was fully prepared to write a huge rant about my current frustrations, but after browsing around SoulPancake for the last few days, in particular over the last half hour, I find myself just not caring anymore.

What is SoulPancake? WHO EVEN KNOWS. Okay, I do. Sort of. It's fluid. It's alive. It's you and me and we're debating Life's Big Questions. Like Why are we here? What makes something right or wrong? What is that gook stuck to my shoe?

Seriously, it's gross.

Either way, it's a brand spankin new project that's being largely spearheaded by The Office's Rainn Wilson, and it's all about challenging our ideas, a place where people from around the world can talk about what really matters.

"We want to make discussions about Spirituality, Creativity, and Philosophy cool again. Were they ever cool? I have no idea. But it seems like a good idea. We want to engage the user to “Chew on Life’s Big Questions”™. (I was kidding about the ™ symbol; you can use that phrase however you want. Even to sell frozen taquitos.) Where do you go on the Interwebs if you want an irreverent, fun, and profound take on God and Art and the Soul and Faith and Beauty? Fox.com? Maybe. But maybe also here at SoulPancake.com."

I was talking with Naddine about the role of technology and society, and we both agreed that it's all in how you use it - and I can't help but think that this is one of those amazingly incredible ways in which the world can benefit from technology. Even if we never meet face to face, SoulPancake is a place where those of us who a searching for some sort of greater connection can get it- and without annoying the pants off of those in our immediate vicinity in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment