Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Love Uncontrollably

What’s the most ridiculous thing you’ve ever done for love?

I tend to do a lot of ridiculous things, especially when love gets involved. 
Countless mix tapes/cds, dozens of handwritten letters, and at least a few extravagant packages later, I still think that the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever done for Love, for someone I Loved and continue to Love was to fly across the country to see him. 
Okay, so, let’s set this up with a bit of backstory: My cousin plays for the Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony (KWS) and a couple years ago a buddy of mine was going to school out in Kitchener-Waterloo (he will henceforth be referred to as Kay-dub). 
And, while the trip was, in large part, to see my cousin and spend some time in what is easily one of my favourite Canadian cities, the added benefit was that, with some perfected timing, I was going to get to drive out from T.O with my cousin and see Kaydub for an evening, see a show, and have an awesome hangout. 
Since he moved away, we’d started emailing more, talking on ye olde interwebs, and occasionally even indulging each other in a phone call. Because, regardless of how far apart we were, we were buds, and it made sense to keep in touch. Hell, we kept in touch better that year than we have any year since. 
Anyway, and I mean this with no disrespect or slight intended towards my cousin, because she is easily one of the most amazing people in my life and I love her to bits and wish I could see her infinitely more often than I do- a big part of the trip was about seeing Kaydub. After all, he was doing his MA, which was a huge deal, and was living away from home. I’d been there. No matter how awesome it is, it’s still kind of rough. And I missed him, and wanted to see him. Plus, I got to bring him to one of my cousins performances, and show off how proud of her I am. That was hella cool. 
But, at the end of the day, I largely arranged a trip around the prospect of getting in a car or hopping on a greyhound bus and going out to see him. 
Lo and behold I happened to get there on what probably still ranks as one of the worst weekends of the kid’s life, but, hey, shit happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment