Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Inspiration for the Uninspired

Of all the SP questions so far, this one probably makes me the least comfortable. I tend to think of myself as a (relatively) creative person, but when it comes down to it, I don’t think of myself as an artist, and I certainly don’t think about where my Inspiration comes from.


I have no muse, I have no place to ponder and think of amazing things.

A friend of mine once told me that, for him, art was just what happened when he stumbled across God. Like, hey, I’m walking down this street, and if I’d stepped three centimetres to the left I’d still be walking, but because my foot landed exactly where it did, I’m suddenly struck with what feels like Divine Inspiration.

I have no source, no fool-proof way of coming up with ideas. Some days they’re there, others I am the least creative person in every room. Not to mention, there are days when my creative energies don’t go to art projects or the actual creation of items, but the creation of moments and feelings, or to writing a kickass research paper.

Either way, I think if I had to pin my inspiration on something, it’s just the random collaboration of people around me. Weird or funny things my friends do or say, a goofy grin or smirk I get for something I said or for nothing at all. It’s in taking a moment to realize just how fucking lucky I am to be surrounded by so many ridiculously amazing people.

Today I feel inspired- not to be better, but just to do something. Anything. To be the person that my friends seem to think I am.

Today I want to prove them right.

No comments:

Post a Comment