Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lean on Me

Do we only need God when life smacks us in the face?
I’m tempted to say yes. I want to hope it’s a no, though. 
As someone who isn’t very faith-filled, I don’t have a lot of first-hand experience in this department, but I think it’s safe to say that when shit hits the fan we all turn to our systems of support. 
Two weeks ago my grandma passed away, and my very first impulse was to call Pumpkin, to check in and just hear his voice, to have some sort of steadying force. I turned to the person I not only wanted in my life at that moment, but a person I suddenly realized I needed. And I don’t think it’s out of line to say that people of religion, people of spiritual faith, have that same impulse- to turn to someone or something that they feel they can rely on. 
At the same time, Pumpkin is also at the top of the list for calls when things go amazingly well, when I get great news or something beautiful happens in the world. I’d like to think that people turn to their God in those moments as well. 
But I guess my question now is- does that still count as a smack in the face? I mean, yeah, usually we’d assume that getting smacked is a bad thing, but maybe sometimes we need to be slapped with something amazing to wake up and get out of our own heads. Maybe the key is wondering if we turn to God in those mediocre moments, in those times when things aren’t particularly awesome or negative, but are just... mundane. 
I mean, okay, I tend to text Pumpkin about pretty much everything, because for some reason things like “man, I just sneezed like 8 times and every time i let out a tiny little ‘achoo’” are the kinds of things I feel I need to share with him. But I guess I just don’t know if God comes into play during those moments as well? 
Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment