Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I Swear, Bubbly Was There

Okay, so, it's been two days since I saw Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, and I'm still riding my high a little bit.

I remember where I was the first time I read Scotty P: My cousin's couch in her Toronto apartment. I'm also that person who went to a midnight release for the final instalment of the Scott Pilgrim graphic novel series. I may have come home and read it before falling asleep, too.

Basically, I love Scott Pilgrim. And when I found out Michael Cera was going to be playing him in the movie, I died a little on the inside.

I really enjoyed Cera as George-Michael Bluth on Arrested Development. And that one episode of Veronica Mars he was in? Totally awesome. But he's one of those hollywood actors who has been pigeon-holed into one set role. Paulie Bleeker, Nick, Nick Twist/ Francois Dillinger all sort of left me with a severe case of the blah's. We get it, Michael. You're an awkward, geeky kid who somehow manages to get the girl. And right now it is super cool to like you.

You're basically the Hollywood Indie Kid. You're there to make people like me, and the kind of guys I like (awkward, nerdy, etc) seem totally real and accessible. You're supposed to make me feel like I belong.

But, hey, guess what, as of late you haven't really had to act much. Or if you have, you basically took your Arrested Development training and just applied it to each of your other roles. Which, hey, can't blame you. You're getting paid millions to be these characters, and you're good at it. Why not, right? Only problem being that I really don't see a point in seeing your movies anymore. Because, well, I've seen Juno. I pretty much know how it ends.

Anyway, getting back to SP. When you were cast as Scotty, I was nervous. Hell, I was nervous right up until I sat down in the theatre on Sunday, even though I was assured that you did a pretty stellar job in the role.

And y'know what? You killed it. (Seriously guys, Michael Cera did a great job)

Somehow he managed to combine every fun little aspect of Scott P that I love, while making me forget that he was Michael Cera about 90% of the time. I have to admit, him singing his Ramona song was a little bit too Cera-ish for my taste, but overall it was well portrayed. I mean, Scott is a character who is obliviously self confident. Or crazy. Maybe both. Either way, he's not awkward. He merely unabashedly creates awkwardness for everyone around him. My kinda guy, that Pilgrim.

Overall assessment of the film, though? Easily one of the best movies I've seen in a while. Incredibly entertaining, captured the style pretty much perfectly, and kept the vast majority of the timeline intact. I kind of loved it. Like a lot. And may have required my friend Angi to remind me to breathe on more than one occasion.

Also, this douche might have been there, too.

"I am a wee man!"

1 comment:

  1. Don't badmouth Buble, or he'll future rape your babies! Oh no, there go mine!

    ReplyDelete